My Lawyer Abroad

Call a lawyer now

Spain: Authorization of stay for student mobility.

6 min read

Authorization of stay for student mobility: It is an authorization that enables you to remain in Spain for a period of more than ninety days to participate in a student mobility program, in a secondary and / or high school education program in an officially recognized teaching or scientific center.

Council Directive 2004/114 / EC, of ​​December 13, 2004, regarding the requirements for admission of third-country nationals for the purpose of studies, student exchange, unpaid internships or volunteer services.
Organic Law 4/2000 of January 11 on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain and their social integration (articles 25 bis, 30 and 33)
Regulation of Organic Law 4/2000, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011, of April 20 (articles 37 to 42).

Not to be a citizen of a State of the European Union, of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, or relative of citizens of these countries to which the regime of citizen of the Union applies.
Not be prohibited from entering Spain and not appear as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement in this regard.
Have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of stay and return to your country and, where appropriate, those of your relatives, in accordance with the following amounts:
For its support, monthly, 100% of the IPREM, unless it is duly accredited to have the accommodation paid in advance for the entire duration of the stay.
For the support of their relatives, monthly, 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each of the remaining persons, unless it is duly accredited to have the accommodation paid in advance for all the time last the stay
Have a public or private health insurance with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain.
In the case of underage students who are not accompanied by their parents or guardians, their authorization, with proof of the center, organization, entity and body responsible for the activity and the planned period of stay.
Have been admitted to a secondary education center or baccalaureate or officially recognized scientific center.
Having been admitted to a student mobility program, carried out by an organization officially recognized for it.
That the mobility organization be responsible for the student during their stay, in particular the cost of the studies, expenses of stay and return to their country.
To be welcomed by a family or institution, under the conditions established by law, to be selected by the organization responsible for the mobility program.
In the event that the duration of the stay exceeds six months, the following will be required:

In the case of criminals, lack a criminal record in Spain and in their previous countries of residence during the last five years for crimes existing in the Spanish law.
Not suffer any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.

Note: in general, copies of the documents must be provided and the originals must be displayed at the time the application is submitted.

National visa application form, in official form, in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner or his legal representative in case of being a minor. This form can be obtained at
Valid full passport or travel title, recognized as valid in Spain, with minimum validity of the period for which the stay is requested.
Documentation accrediting the availability of financial means necessary for the period requested and for the return to the country of origin.
In the case of underage students, authorization of parents or guardians in which the center, organization, entity and body responsible for the activity and the planned period of stay.
Documentation proving to have medical insurance.
Documentation accrediting being admitted to a center of secondary education and / or baccalaureate or officially recognized scientist.
Documentation accrediting having been admitted as a participant in a student mobility program.
Documentation proving that the mobility organization is responsible for the cost of studies, stay and return of the student.
Documentation accrediting being received by a family or institution.
If the duration of the stay exceeds six months:
Medical certificate.
If the student is of legal age, a criminal record issued by the authorities of the country of origin or of the country in which he or she has resided during the last five years.
Important note: when documents from other countries are provided, they must be translated into Spanish or co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

On the other hand, any foreign public document must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which said document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent Authority of the issuing country under the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless said document is exempt from legalization under the International Convention.

For more information on the translation and legalization of the documents you can contact a lawyer.

Subject legitimized to submit the visa application: the student foreigner, personally. If it is a minor student, their parents, guardians or duly accredited representative, personally.
Place of presentation: Diplomatic mission or Spanish consular office whose demarcation resides abroad.
Visa issuance fee: amounts to 60 euros to be paid at the time of applying for the visa.
Term of resolution and issuance of the visa: the maximum period to notify the resolution is one month from the day following the date of submission of the application to the consular office competent for processing. After this period has elapsed without the Administration having given an express response, it may be understood that the request has been dismissed due to administrative silence.
The visa granted must be collected within two months of notification. If the collection is not made within the aforementioned deadlines, it will be understood that the interested party has waived the visa granted and the procedure will be filed.
The duration of the stay granted will be equal to that of the studies to be carried out with the maximum limit of one year.
In the event that the study stay lasts longer than six months, the foreigner must personally request the foreigner’s identity card within one month of entering Spain, at the Aliens Office or Police Station of the province where the authorization was processed. To see where to go, the schedule and if you have to make an appointment you can consult:
The applicant will display his passport or travel document at the time of the fingerprint process and will provide:
Foreign student card application, in official form (EX-17) available at
Proof of payment of the card fee.
Three recent color photographs, in white background, passport size.

The spouse, the de facto couple, children under eighteen or who have a disability and are not objectively able to provide for their own needs due to their health status, can obtain authorization to legally enter and remain in Spain with the foreigner during the duration of the activities.
Subject legitimized to submit the visa application: the student’s family member personally.
Place of presentation: Diplomatic mission or Spanish consular office whose demarcation resides the family of the foreign student.
Time to apply for the family member’s visa: they can be applied simultaneously with the student’s study visa, or at any later time within the period of validity of the authorization to stay for studies.
In order to grant it, sufficient means of living, the kinship bond and, in the case of children over eighteen years of age, must prove that they are not objectively capable.
The authorization of the relatives will be linked to that of the student, and they may remain in Spanish territory for the same period and in the same situation as this.
If the family members stay for more than six months, they must obtain a foreign identity card.

*The content of this page is merely indicative. Only the provisions of the regulations in force at the time the application is submitted is applicable.

Last update: 01/2016

Feel free  to CONTACT us if you wish. Our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your trust in our Lawyers Network!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Este sitio web utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para mayor información.plugin cookies

Aviso de cookies