My Lawyer Abroad

Call a lawyer now

Spain: Extension of stay authorization for studies, exchange of students, non-work practices or volunteer services.

5 min read

Extension of stay authorization for studies, exchange of students, non-work practices or volunteer services: It is an annual extension of the authorization to carry out studies, student exchange, non-work practices or volunteer services in Spain. The annual extension of the stay of family members of foreigners in a situation of stay for studies, student exchange, is also authorized. Non-work practices or volunteer services.

Council Directive 2004/114 / EC, of ​​December 13, 2004, regarding the requirements for admission of third-country nationals for the purpose of studies, student exchange, unpaid internships or volunteer services.
Organic Law 4/2000 of January 11 on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain and their social integration (articles 25 bis, 30 and 33)
Regulation of Organic Law 4/2000, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011, of April 20 (articles 37 to 42).

Not to be a citizen of a State of the European Union, of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, or relative of citizens of these countries to which the regime of citizen of the Union applies.
Lack of criminal records in Spain and in their previous countries of residence for crimes existing in the Spanish law.
Not be prohibited from entering Spain and not appear as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement in this regard.
Have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of stay and return to your country and, where appropriate, those of your relatives, in accordance with the following amounts:
For its support, monthly, 100% of the IPREM.
For the support of their relatives, monthly, 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each of the remaining persons.
Have a public or private health insurance that covers the risks normally insured to Spanish citizens.
In the case of underage students who are not accompanied by their parents or guardians, their authorization.
Prove that the specific requirements regarding the activity for which it was authorized to remain in Spain continue to be met (see the corresponding fact sheet).
Have passed the tests for the continuity of their studies, or continue with non-work practices or continue volunteering services. This requirement may be accredited through studies or research in the territory of another Member State of the European Union, within the framework of temporary programs promoted by the Union itself.

Note: in general, copies of the documents must be provided and the originals must be displayed at the time the application is submitted.

Application form in official form (EX – 00) in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner or his legal representative in case of being a minor. This form can be obtained at
Valid passport or travel title.
Documentation accrediting the necessary financial means for the period requested and for the return to the country of origin.
In the case of underage students, authorization of parents or guardians in which the center, organization, entity and body responsible for the activity and the planned period of stay.
Documentation proving to have medical insurance.
Documentation accrediting the specific requirements regarding the activity for which it was authorized to remain in Spain.
Where appropriate, supporting documentation of having passed the tests and continuing with studies, research or training, non-work practices or volunteer service.
Important note: when documents from other countries are provided, they must be translated into Spanish or co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

On the other hand, any foreign public document must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which said document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent Authority of the issuing country under the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless said document is exempt from legalization under the International Convention.

For more information on the translation and legalization of documents you can consult the fact sheet

Subject legitimate to submit the application: the foreigner or if he is a minor, his parents, guardians or representatives.
Place of presentation: in any public registry and addressed to the Immigration Office of the province of development of the activity. Information on the address, telephone numbers and customer service hours can be obtained at: http: //
Application deadline: during the 60 calendar days prior to the expiration date of the validity of the authorization. It may also be submitted within 90 calendar days, without prejudice to the initiation of the corresponding sanction procedure.
Consequences of the presentation in term: it extends the validity of the authorization of stay until the resolution of the request.
The extension fees: will be accrued at the time of admission to the application process, and must be paid within ten business days, they are:
Model 790 code 052.
The model of the fee for payment can be found on the Internet Portal of the Ministry of Public Function.
Term of resolution of the application: 3 months from the day following the date on which it had entered the registry of the competent body in its processing. After this period has elapsed without the Administration having made the notification, it may be understood that the request has been dismissed due to administrative silence. (When the resolution has not been notified, it will be announced in the Single Edictal Board (TEU) https: // www. If you had opted for electronic or normative notification you were obliged to use that means, the resolution will be notified by publication in the electronic headquarters.If the resolution is not accessed within 10 business days of publication notified).
Within one month of notification, the foreigner must personally request the foreigner’s identity card at the Aliens Office or Police Station of the province where the authorization has been processed. To see where to go, the schedule and if you have to make an appointment, you can consult:
The applicant will display his passport or travel document at the time of the fingerprint process and will provide:
Foreign student card application, in official form (EX-17) available at
Proof of payment of the card fee.
Three recent color photographs, in white background, passport size.

*The content of this page is merely indicative. Only the provisions of the regulations in force at the time the application is submitted is applicable.

Last update: 01/2016

Feel free  to CONTACT us if you wish. Our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your trust in our Lawyers Network!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Este sitio web utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para mayor información.plugin cookies

Aviso de cookies