My Lawyer Abroad

Call a lawyer now

Spain: Initial authorization of temporary non-profit residence.

5 min read

Initial authorization of temporary non-profit residence: It is an authorization requested by foreigners from their country of origin that authorizes them to reside in Spain without carrying out work activity.

Organic Law 4/2000 of January 11 on Rights and Freedoms of Foreigners in Spain and their Social Integration (articles 30 bis and 31)
Regulation of Organic Law 4/2000, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011, of April 20 (articles 45 to 49).

Not to be a citizen of a State of the European Union, of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, or relative of citizens of these countries to which the regime of citizen of the Union applies.
Not be found irregularly in Spanish territory.
Lack of criminal records in Spain and in their previous countries of residence for crimes existing in the Spanish law.
Not be prohibited from entering Spain and not appear as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement in this regard.
Have the necessary financial means to cover the expenses of stay and return and, where appropriate, those of their relatives, in accordance with the following amounts:
For its monthly maintenance 400% of the IPREM,.
For the support of each of their relatives, 100% of the IPREM.
Have a public or private health insurance with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain.
Not suffer any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.
Not being, as the case may be, within the commitment period of non-return to Spain that the foreigner has assumed when receiving a voluntary return program.

Note: in general, copies of the documents must be provided and the originals must be displayed at the time the application is submitted.

Application form for a residence visa in official form in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner, or your legal representative if you are a minor. This form can be obtained at
Passport or travel title, recognized as valid in Spain, with a minimum validity of one year.
Criminal record or equivalent document, in case of being of legal age, issued by the authorities of the country of origin or of the country or countries in which you have resided during the last five years.
Documentation accrediting the availability of financial means for the period requested.
It can be accredited by any means of proof, including the contribution of property titles, certified checks or credit cards accompanied by a bank certification that accredits the amount available as credit on the card.

If the media come from shares or participations in Spanish, mixed or foreign companies, based in Spain, it will be accredited by certifying them that the applicant does not exercise any labor activity, accompanying an affidavit in that regard.

Documentation proving to have medical insurance.
Medical certificate.
Important note: when documents from other countries are provided, they must be translated into Spanish or co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

On the other hand, any foreign public document must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which said document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent Authority of the issuing country under the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 and unless said document is exempt from legalization under the International Convention.

For more information on the application, and the translation and legalization of documents you can consult a lawyer.

Subject legitimate to submit the temporary residence application: the foreigner, personally. If you are a minor, your parents, guardians or duly accredited representative, personally.
Place of presentation: Diplomatic mission or Spanish consular office whose demarcation resides abroad.
Fees: will be accrued at the time of admission to the application process, and must be paid within ten business days, they are:
Visa Issuance Fees
Fees for residence authorization: Model 790 code 052
Term of resolution: The period of notification of the resolution is three months from the day following the date on which it had entered the registry of the competent body for processing. After this period has elapsed without the Administration having given an express response, it may be understood that the request has been dismissed due to administrative silence.
In the case of granting a residence visa, the foreigner has one month from the notification to pick it up personally. In case of not doing so, it will be understood that you have waived the visa granted, and the procedure will be filed.
Once the visa is collected, the applicant must enter Spain within the validity period of the visa, which in no case will exceed three months.
The initial authorization for temporary residence will have a duration of one year and the validity will begin on the date of entry into Spain.
Within one month of entering Spain, the foreigner must personally request the foreigner’s identity card, at the Aliens Office or Police Station of the province where the authorization has been processed. To see where to go, the schedule and if you have to make an appointment you can consult:
The applicant will display his passport or travel document at the time of the fingerprint process and will provide:
Card request, in official model (EX-17) available at
Proof of payment of the card fee.
Three recent color photographs, in white background, passport size.

*The content of this page is merely indicative. Only the provisions of the regulations in force at the time the application is submitted is applicable.

Last update: 01/2016

Feel free  to CONTACT us if you wish. Our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your trust in our Lawyers Network!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Este sitio web utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para mayor información.plugin cookies

Aviso de cookies